Center for Families & Children
In December 2013, the Rales Foundation made a significant gift to JFS to create the new “Center for Families & Children” which will enable the agency to help more families and children struggling in our community.
Four new programs have been launched under the Center’s umbrella including:
- Career & Employment Services: With a challenged South Florida community and job growth within the state falling below 1% this past year, this program will provide those seeking employment with workforce development skills, vocational training, job coaching, career seminars, resources for furthering education, and a variety of additional supportive services designed to ensure success.
- Domestic Abuse Education & Awareness: This program will create a formal, centralized place for victims to get the help they need to break the pattern of abuse and begin a journey of recovery. This will be achieved through a variety of supports including education and awareness programs for teens and adults, outreach, case management, crisis intervention, information and referrals, financial assistance and counseling services.
- Financial Assistance: The 2010 Census Bureau report revealed that 20% of children in Palm Beach County ages 5 to 17 currently live in poverty. This data places Palm Beach in the nation's top 20% of counties experiencing the steepest jump in child poverty. JFS now has the resources to provide families with the help they need so that they can remain employed and their children can grow into successful adults. Funds for summer camp, college preparatory assistance, and participation in Jewish enrichment experiences are now available on a first come, first served basis.
- Community Outreach: This program will bring all JFS programs and services together to make them accessible in community settings. Outreach professionals working closely with synagogues, schools and other community organizations will help meet the needs of the community as they arise.
- Special Needs Outreach: This program reaches out and assists families with children with special needs. We offer referrals and support groups for parents and caregivers, as well as a support group for siblings and for grandparent of children with special needs. We are a referral source for schools and agencies that have children and families that need assistance. We offer financial assistance for therapies, adaptive equipment, supportive shadows, respite care, camp, food pantry, etc. Click here to find out more.
- JFS CARES:
Community Awareness Resources and Education for Substance use disorders
As part of JFS’ Outreach effort, JFS added a Substance Use Outreach Coordinator to its team to address the impact of substance use and related disorders on families by engaging with local spiritual leaders, professionals and educators to raise awareness and address the stigma associated with this mental health issue. The goal of JFS CARES is to assist families understand what recovery is for their loved ones and themselves. JFS believes that education and outreach will help develop the emotional support systems and connections families need. Click here to find out more.
For more information about the “Center for Families & Children” or any other programs or services offered by Ruth & Norman Rales Jewish Family Services (JFS)