SENIOR COMPANION TRAINING
JFS Career & Employment Services offers a Senior Companion Training Program. The two-day program is for those who want to learn how to become a caregiver or for those who are placed in the position of taking care of a family member. The program is free, but registration is required.
FAQs ABOUT SENIOR COMPANION TRAINING
1. WHAT SERVICES DOES A SENIOR COMPANION PROVIDE TO CLIENTS?
- Senior Companions are trained to work specifically with seniors to provide:
- Assistance with Daily Tasks
- Companionship and Daily Walks
- Nutritious Meal Preparation
- Encouragement to Participate in Social Activities
- Advocacy in the Healthcare Setting
- Hospital Visitation
- Respite to Primary Caregivers
- Transportation using your own vehicle to Shopping and Appointments
2. WHAT WILL I NEED TO PROVIDE?
After you complete your training you will need to provide the following to JFS at Home to be considered for employment:
- Completed JFS at Home Employment Application
- Copy of Driver’s License
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Copy of Current Auto Insurance
- Physical Exam statement from doctor within the last year
- Completed Chest X-Ray or TB Test (chest x-ray within last 5 years or TB test completed within last year)
- Copy of a Voided Check
- Complete the Drug Screening
- Complete the Level 2 Background Screening and Fingerprinting
3. HOW MUCH DOES THE BACKGROUND SCREENING COST?
- The Level 2 background screening costs $85 and is valid in the State of Florida for 5 years.
4. DOES MY DRIVING RECORD AFFECT BEING HIRED?
- JFS at Home may check the motor vehicle records annually for all new and current employees with driving responsibilities. Any covered employee without a valid driver's license or unsatisfactory driving record will not be allowed to drive on company business.
- JFS at Home has the right to restrict driving on company business due to driving record and/or if personal limits are lower than the minimum. Only those drivers that meet the following conditions will be allowed to drive on company business:
- No More Than Two Moving Violations in the Past Three Years
- No At Fault Accidents Within the Past Three Years
- No Convictions of Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Reckless Driving, Driving While Intoxicated (DWI), Vehicular Manslaughter, Driving Dangerously, or Other Similar Type of Offence
5. HOW LONG IS THE SENIOR COMPANION TRAINING PROGRAM?
- The Senior Companion Training Program takes 2 days to complete. Both days start at 9:30 a.m. and finish at 4:00 p.m. You will have breaks throughout the training including a break for lunch.
6. WHERE IS THE TRAINING LOCATED?
- 6413 Congress Avenue
- Suite 225
- Boca Raton, FL 33487
7. IF I AM ALREADY LICENSED IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA, DO I HAVE TO COMPLETE THE SENIOR COMPANION TRAINING PROGRAM?
- If you are licensed in the State of Florida as a Home Health Aide or Certified Nursing Assistant, you do not need to complete the Senior Companion Training Program. If this applies to you, please call JFS at Home directly at 561.852.3116.
8. WHAT ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS ARE THERE FOR BECOMING A SENIOR COMPANION?
- Please be advised that reliable transportation and a smart phone are required in order to become a Senior Companion.
9. HOW MUCH DOES A JFS AT HOME SENIOR COMPANION MAKE HOURLY?
- Senior Companions earn a competitive hourly rate + reimbursement for mileage when clients are driven in the companion’s car (not for commuting to and from client).
10. HOW WILL I BE PAID?
- Senior Companions are employees, not independent contractors, and as such, they complete a W4 and taxes are taken out according to what they indicate on their W4. Employees are paid via direct deposit every two weeks on Thursdays.
11. HOW MANY HOURS PER WEEK DOES A SENIOR COMPANION WORK?
- We are looking for a commitment of at least 6-9 hours a week which is typically 2 or 3, 3-hour shifts.
12. WHAT CITIES WILL I BE WORKING IN?
- Current active cities are Boca Raton and Delray Beach.